Tannah and I have bffs since 5th grade and we are now roommates in college. For as long as we can remember, our go-to meal has always been pasta. About a year and a half ago, we were trying to figure out what to make for dinner and we were both craving pasta *per usual*, especially a spicy sauce. After trial and error we have perfected the BEST vodka sauce you will ever have. So simple and so easy. Also perfect for a date night in! Enjoy xo
+ 1.5 boxes of rigatoni pasta
+ 1 cup of heavy cream
+ 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
+ 6 tablespoons of butter
+ 2 shallots
+ 6 garlic cloves
+ 1 cup of tomato paste
+ 4 tablespoons of vodka
+ 2 tablespoons of white wine (usually Pinot Grigio)
+ 1.5 cups Shaved parmesan
+ Basil for topping
1. Place a large skillet on medium heat for the sauce. While heating, mince the shallots and garlic and keep aside.
2. Once the pan is heated, melt butter in the pan.
3. Begin boiling water for pasta, and add pasta in once water is ready. Cook for desired time. Be sure to save about 1 cup of pasta water when straining
4. Once the butter is melted, add in shallots and garlic and coat them in butter. Mix continuously until they are softened and light brown, about 5 minutes.
5. Add in tomato paste and mix into the shallots and garlic until they are coated
6. Add in red pepper flakes and stir in evenly
7. Add in vodka and stir well- be sure to scrape the bottom of the pan.
8. Add in heavy cream and stir until even. Reduce heat if bubbling.
9. Add in 1 cup of shaved parmesan cheese and stir until melted.
10. Add in about 2 tablespoons of white wine and stir
11. The sauce should be thick, add in 1/4 cup of pasta water, stir, and add in more as needed until desired thickness
12. Add in any extra red pepper flakes for desired spice level
13. Remove from heat and add to pasta, stir well.
14. Plate the pasta and then top with shaved parmesan and basil